travelmemoirsofswaati text

I am an intrepid traveller. Travelling has been my passion since school days. Hailing from the steel city of Rourkela in Odisha, I always had an opportunity to plan out my holidays with my family to exotic destinations that are rich in history and heritage in India. Looking back, I have also taken up trekking in Chauragarh hills of Pachmarhi, Shatrunjaya Hills of Palitana, Vaishno Devi or the Muktinath temple in Mustang Valley in Nepal and Lalang Waterfall in rainforests of Tioman Island in Malaysia. I have penned down the Odisha destinations in Pick2Move-India Travel planner brought out by Sampan Media Limited, New Delhi. I have compiled a travelogue themed- “Journeys across India” published by Best Books, Kolkata. I generally take up travel to pen down travelogues, know the art and craft of the faraway lands and of course, I do travel reporting for leading English dailies of India.

ads by adsfor247

ads by adsfor247

Friday 26 January 2018

Shrines of Pushkar



Holy attractions


It was a stroke of luck for me that this time when I visited the “Blue Lotus” town of Pushkar in December 2017, I could visit the Brahma Temple. Three decades back, when I was in Pushkar, I could not make it to the shrine. Highly revered as Jagat Pita Brahma Temple, it is one of the few existing shrines in the country where Lord Brahma is worshipped.  The shrine is as old as 14th century and was later renovated. Built of marble and stone slabs, the shrine has a distinguished red pinnacle and a bird motif and is the most popular shrine in the holy town that attracts the devouts. Pushkar nestles in the midst of oldest geological set-up called Aravalli Range and has endless rows of shrines.




                                        The pilgrim town of Pushkar

Brahma Temple is devoted to four-headed Brahma and his wife, Gayatri.  The shrine remains opens from dawn (at around 6.00 am) to night (9.00 pm). It is customary to take a holy dip in the Pushkar Lake and then visit the Brahma Temple.

 
                                                Brahma Temple

Brahma Temple apart, when one enters the town of Pushkar from Ajmer, the premier shrine that catches one’s sight is the majestic Vishnu Temple. The towering white shrine prides in having South Indian architecture and is quite an impressive one.  

 
                                        Vishnu Temple

No comments:

Post a Comment