travelmemoirsofswaati text

I am an intrepid traveller. Travelling has been my passion since school days. Hailing from the steel city of Rourkela in Odisha, I always had an opportunity to plan out my holidays with my family to exotic destinations that are rich in history and heritage in India. Looking back, I have also taken up trekking in Chauragarh hills of Pachmarhi, Shatrunjaya Hills of Palitana, Vaishno Devi or the Muktinath temple in Mustang Valley in Nepal and Lalang Waterfall in rainforests of Tioman Island in Malaysia. I have penned down the Odisha destinations in Pick2Move-India Travel planner brought out by Sampan Media Limited, New Delhi. I have compiled a travelogue themed- “Journeys across India” published by Best Books, Kolkata. I generally take up travel to pen down travelogues, know the art and craft of the faraway lands and of course, I do travel reporting for leading English dailies of India.

ads by adsfor247

ads by adsfor247

Monday 4 January 2016

Of tranquil ashrams on river Ganges













   
   
                                 On the banks of Ganges in Rishikesh
 
 
Lying in Tehri-Garhwal district of Uttarakhand, Rishikesh is nearly 25 km from Haridwar and one can visit the destination by road or rail. Rishikesh on the foothills of Shivalik range has scores of ashrams in the name of great sages of India and dharamshalas.
     
     
                            
              Ram Jhoola at Muni-ki-Reti, Rishikesh
                                                 

 
 
During my previous visit to Rishikesh back in early 80’s, I had visited Lakshman Jhula, so this time, I had made up my mind to travel to Ram Jhoola at Muni-ki-Reti. The ghats on the banks of river Ganges are clean and form the best place to get steeped in meditation.

Swarg Ashram
 
Swarg Ashram
 
One of the earliest ashrams of Rishikesh, Swarg Ashram is dedicated to the reputed saint, Baba Kali Kamli Wale Atma Prakash Ji Maharaj. I entered the ashram to view the statues of four great sages of ancient India- Vasisht, Shankracharya, Tulsidas and Ved Vyas.

Gita Bhawan
 
Gita Bhawan
 
The sprawling ashram of Gita Bhawan has a shrine honouring Lord Ganesha, Shiva and Parvati. The walls of the shrine have many colourful illustrations depicting mythological tales.

Parmarth Niketan
 
Parmarth Niketan
                                          

 
If one walks past Gita Bhawan, one comes across the tranquil Parmarth Niketan that is a significant centre of yoga and meditation in Rishikesh. The entrance of Parmarth Niketan has the statue of Lord Krishna riding the chariot along with Arjuna facing the Ganges. Parmarth Niketan is run by Ganga Action for Planners (GAP) that is constantly striving to save river Ganges from pollution and create pollution-free ambience.

No comments:

Post a Comment